Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The Gears

I made my move on the chess board. I just simply moved a pawn forward. I will post either a picture or a video of the move(as I have both) soon. I simply don't think me moving one chess piece is enough to warrant any kind of attention, so I will try to get the dogs to do something interesting so I can put something of substance on the channel. I really don't want to flood the channel with spam videos, especially if it's just me responding to what seems to be a haunted chess piece.

Osiris just stares at the streetlight man. For what seems like hours, Osiris looks out that window and watches him. When streetlight man(I will dub him "The Stranger" from now on, as I did in my YouTube video) disappears, Osiris whimpers and comes over to me, acting like I need to explain to him who that weird Stranger is. I informed the police about this guy, but they claim that they never see anyone out there when they do their rounds in the neighborhood. The fact that Osiris can see him too comforts me. It helps me know that I am not just making this up, or hallucinating.

Those dreams people have about falling? Yeah, I am having those now too. The thing is, though, that my dreams aren't about me falling off a tall building or a cliff, but out my own windows. The slow motion style, coupled with immense dread, have overriden my "normal" nightmares of red skies and darkness. My fiancee is getting worried about the increase in my sleep "abnormalities". She took a class to train to become a Sleep Study Technician a while back, and she says that what I am experiencing is not consistent with any "normal" sleep issues, or dream issues.

Gears of War 3. How to review it properly without spoiling the campaign story.... Well, the story isn't much. It's actually the low point in the game for me. The missions are lame, and when you stop to think about what you are truly doing, you become disappointed. That said, the level design is great, the gameplay is top notch and the graphics and sound are wonderful. The battles are a blast, and the scenery is really neat. I guess I will make a small spoiler here, and speak of the horrors of going through 7 chapters that are entirely about getting gasoline. No, I am not kidding. Of course, you will have a fun time doing it, but to me, the epic(no pun intended) ending to a trilogy like this needs to be about more than a glorified fetch quest. The multiplayer shines in this installment. The weapons feel more balanced, and even I, a pretty average to below average multiplayer gamer in Gears of War 1 and 2, found myself playing well in this new multiplayer. Horde mode got a face lift, and now features boss battles and allows you to build fortifications. The new Beast mode is a ton of fun, where the players assume the role of the locust and attack the humans for a change. It is definitely worth a look. Wrapping up this short review, I would say that the groundwork laid in the first two installments really comes to life in this last one, apart from the story. The controls are tight, the game strikes a great balance in difficulty and now there is even a 4 player co-op feature. To me, this game is a must buy.

No comments:

Post a Comment